Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
08/27/14 at 4:48am
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

To vote for our site click on both these links!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Vintage Racing News Flash! (Read 27350 times)
TOR-RED-AAR
Global Moderator

Re: Vintage Racing News Flash!
Reply #15 - 12/24/03 at 6:14am

cuda48 I dont think its as much the serious folk having a fit as it is as someone fabricating a car out of remnance sheetmetal found in a junkyard. Not sure how many people are familiar with the story surrounding Harold Sullivans 71 Hemi Cuda Convertible but its almost the same exact situation. He claims he found every piece to put the car back together. But others say there is no way he found all the pieces to rebuild that car and its going to be nothing more than a body swapped car. Its very interesting how both cases seem to mirror each other. This is not something uncommon either you just dont know how often it has happened. There are show winning point cars out there that have been body swapped and also documented as original by the hobbies numbers gurus!! and BKoodahAAR says it quite well in his reply to this thread!!!! Ole George would be proud!!! LOL!!!

View Profile WWW Transammopars   IP Logged
GURSAVSKI
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - 12/24/03 at 10:14am

I guess I can understand BKoodahAAR's point. Another question that TOR-RED's comment brings up is: At what point in a "restoration" does the "restored" vehicle lose its originality? When you replace 80%-90% of the sheetmetal and the entire interior (seat covers, door panels, dashpad, headliner, etc.), its hard to believe you end up with an ORIGINAL car. No matter, the re$toration/replacement/documentation bu$ine$$ will continue a$ long a$ there i$ $ub$tantial intere$t in the$e car$.

« Last Edit: 12/25/03 at 1:36am by GURSAVSKI »  

woulda, 'cuda, shoulda!!!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Challenger_77
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 12/24/03 at 1:20pm

Regarding the Skanes challenger...
If you have the chassis then you have the car...if you have a piece of...say...the firewall or the rollbar that was discarded..then you have a piece of discarded firewall or rollbar....not a car.  And if you build a car around those pieces then you have a tribute/replica and the car should be presented as such...not as an original.

View Profile   IP Logged
BKoodahAAR
YaBB Newbies

MoPars 4ever!

Reply #18 - 12/24/03 at 1:56pm

So what are you saying---the guy doesn't REALLY own the original George Washington hatchet?? Shocked ???

MoPar or no car!
View Profile   IP Logged
Challenger_77
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 12/24/03 at 2:14pm

Regarding the George Washington hatchett...don't know what that has to do with cars..but here goes..
if the hatchett was always a hatchett and over the years remained a hatchett...instead being discarded... then you replace the pieces one by one over the years due to use,  then it is still GW's hatchett....however if the hatchett became a knife then was discarded and you were only speculating that the small piece of metal you found were GW'S remnants..then you have  a replica...as for cars, a chain of custody would go a long way to proving authenticity of a car...

View Profile   IP Logged
cuda48
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 12/24/03 at 3:41pm

This is an excellent thread (George Washington and all)!  I'd really like to see Ed's Challenger...where's some pics?  What did he use for a body shell to start with?  I would imagine with access to the factory Cuda and Epsman's Challenger he should have been able to replicate it down to the last detail.  Does he have a set of blueprints?  I've heard rumors of these floating around.  Hubelyman...where are you located?  I'd like to get together with  you and get some pics of the Euro restoration too. (thanks for the earlier photos by the way).
Happy Holidays everyone,
Mr. C

View Profile   IP Logged
hubleyman
YaBB Newbies

Still looking for
that Challenger
convertible....

Reply #21 - 12/30/03 at 6:59pm

Hello Mr. C...
Hubleyman here........  Been busy moving to my new spread up in Petaluma... more house, more property, more privacy, more GARAGES !!!  Won't be around computers very much until things settle down from the move, but feel free to email me directly at hubleyman@prodigy.net  or cclifton@panamsat.com and we can chat if you'd like.
Thanks,
Charlie (aka.: hubleyman, and I am also known as Mr. C to many but you've got that one tied up in this Board...)

GURSAVSKI
Global Moderator

Re: Vintage Racing News Flash! (Number Swapping)
Reply #22 - 01/01/04 at 4:09pm

Regarding race-car number swapping:

It's POSSIBLE that a TENTATIVE decision MAY have been made regarding which AAR 'Cuda will wear what number. (It's too early for a final decision, however. --- Stay tuned!!---) Restoration of Randy Peterson's "Euro-'Cuda" and the refurbishment of the Lipetz's AAR remain on schedule. Completion of both these undertakings is planned for spring 2004, prior to the start of the vintage racing season.  

No word on the Epsman/Skanes numbers situation yet. Hopefully, we'll hear what's planned soon. (The Skanes' Challenger was set to debut at Daytona during the "24 Minutes of Daytona" exhibition race that precedes the 24 Hours of Daytona endurance contest in February. Gary Savage, reportedly, will be driving the Challenger.)

Challenger_77
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 01/01/04 at 5:25pm

I understand the Epsman challenger will remain number 77...since it is the only remaining autodynamics challenger...the skanes car sounds like a replica so it is irrelevent what number is put on the car since it will not be running in the same grids.
As for the cuda's, it seems to me that the euro cuda should be 48 and the other car should be 42...it will be awful hard to have two cars with the same paint scheme using the same number in the same race..

View Profile   IP Logged
GURSAVSKI
Global Moderator

Re: Vintage Racing News Flash! (Number Swapping)
Reply #24 - 01/02/04 at 8:47pm

I'm not sure HOW the Historic Trans-Am Group designates the car entry number at the events they participate in. Two cars historically may have run with the same number in different years and currently  participate in vintage events. Looking at the HT-AG driver and car roster, I see three Penske Camaros, two the same year, one different, same color blue, listed with the #6. Two 1970 Boss 302 Mustangs, same Bud Moore colored yellow, registered as #16. They must have some allowance or provision for the participants when all these cars show up to "race" with duplicate (triplicate ---quadruplicate!!) numbers. (Especially the Penske cars --even the Javelins wear #6.)

Some of the vintage groups here on the east coast allow for duplicate numbers by placing the number 1 in front of the car number if there are cars that race in the same group with the same original number. (i.e. --77 and 177; -- 48 and 148 ) Usually whoever sends his entry fee in first gets the "good" number.  I'm not sure THAT solution will work in this situation, however.  I'm sure that an amicable "gentlemen's agreement", or a compromise will be reached in the Barracudas' and Challengers' cases.

« Last Edit: 01/03/04 at 12:34am by GURSAVSKI »  

Challenger_77
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 01/02/04 at 9:37pm

Well, I guess this number issue only pertains to the Cuda's since the Historic Trans Am Group only allows cars with a proven pedigree..the skanes challenger, in my opinion, will not be allowed to run with the REAL cars in the Historic Trans Am Group.

View Profile   IP Logged
GURSAVSKI
Global Moderator

Reply #26 - 01/03/04 at 12:27am

Well, you sorta gotta keep in mind, maybe, that Mr. Skanes should at least be given the chance to prove the pedigree of his car. The documentation and information he presents will be examined thoroughly and will be questioned and investigated by the Trans-Am Registry, the Historic Trans-Am Group, and/or any other vintage race groups with whom he may want to participate; and, subject to verification, his Challenger will either be accepted, rejected or ignored based on THAT documentation.  

Everyone seems to have their opinion, myself included, but let's see what will be presented to document this car's origin and history.

SposerTA
YaBB Newbies

Put a DODGE in your
garage!!!!

Reply #27 - 01/08/04 at 8:43pm

So when are we going to see some more photos of the Euro-cuda and it's progress? Has anyone seen or know about the Ed Skanes Challenger? I'd like to see pics of how far along it is and details of the car. So would other people, it looks like.
It seems like a lot of the discussion is about it's construction. Can somebody tell us more about it? You guys got us all curious. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
TOR-RED-AAR
Global Moderator

Reply #28 - 01/09/04 at 4:12am

I too am waiting for more pix of the Euro Cuda, As for Ed Skanes and the Challenger Viper_Dave on here works for Ed maybe he will fill us in on the progress of the car. I also heard that Ed has a enough sheet metal and a body with a cage in it to do another Cuda. Wonder how he is going to handle that one?? Call it a replica? and also how is he going to handle the Challenger? Is that also going to be called a replica? From what I understand there are strict guidelines the Historic Trans Am guys have to follow. I hope Dave joins the thread on this one.

View Profile WWW Transammopars   IP Logged
GURSAVSKI
Global Moderator

Reply #29 - 01/11/04 at 5:56pm

Actually, Ed Skanes owns another Barracuda that was built for IMSA competition during 1974 to 1976. The car was constructed in late 1973-early 1974 by Carson Baird of Maryland and was owned and driven by Tom Flavin. The 'Cuda was painted orange and blue. It was built to compete in the American/GT class and basically was a tube-frame chassis with Barracuda sheetmetal powered by a 340-block Chrysler engine. It was a kit-car, more or less. (Coincidentally, in 1974, Model Products Corporation produced a 1/25th scale model "Barracuda Super Stocker" USAC oval track dirt racer--kit#2755-- whose boxtop artwork closely resembles the paint scheme, and has the rearward facing scoop, that the Baird/Flavin Barracuda had.)  

The car had a lot of developmental and sorting problems and never ran well in IMSA competition. The car was later sold (circa 1977) to a racer in Folsom, New Mexico, who (-- Can you guess what's coming here??--) turned it into a oval track dirt racer(!!). The car languished for a number of years in the New Mexico sun and heat, and, in the mid-eighties, the parts and remains were purchased by Ed.

To the best of my knowledge, it's been a project on the back burner, so to speak. Perhaps, now with the #48 (#42??) 'Cuda sold and the Challenger nearing completion, this road-racing MoPar will be restored and, eventually, be raced in vintage events.

Stay tuned: perhaps ViperDave will be able to provide more information (and photos??) on this and the Challenger project. Wink

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print